Friday, July 23, 2010

Inception

I don't know about you but I have to say this has been a so-so summer for movies. I'm so used to movies coming out every week that get you excited about, it's what we've come to expect from summer movies. Mind you that I have seen some good movies but not enough, that was until I saw Inception. This was a movie I've been waiting for since I heard it was to be Christopher Nolan's next film. Christopher Nolan is one of the best filmmakers out there, I've enjoyed all of his films and I know it's a short list but he's more than proved himself.
Inception is a story about dreams and a group who go into your dreams and extract your ideas while in the dream state. That is until they are asked to implant an idea into someones dream which is called inception. I'm purposely being vague about the story because I don't want to spoil the movie for those who haven't seen it yet.
The movie stars Leo DiCaprio as Cobb, the leader of the group and Joseph Gordon Levitt as Arthur his right hand man. It also has Ellen Page as Ariadne the architect, Ken Watanabe, Tom Hardy, Cillian Murphy as the intended target and Marion Cotillard as Mal.
The movie is an action adventure but with brains, it's a movie you need to pay attention to because if you don't you could get lost, mind you that might still happen even after the movie ends.
Leo gives one of the best performances I've seen because I think he brings a restraint to the character without going over the top which I think he's done in past performances.
Joseph Gordon Levitt is a tremendous talent one whom I've been watching for some time and he brings a subtlety and strength to his character and if rumors are to be believed I can't wait to see him as the Riddler in the next Batman movie.
Ellen Page showed me a freshness, a naivete of her character something she can definitely build on for future roles. I feel all the characters are strong in this incredible movie.
The set pieces in this film are amazing especially because most if not all are done without CGI, something Christopher Nolan tries to avoid with his movies. Watching the city fold onto itself was incredible and has you wondering how they did that.
The film has similarities to the Matrix but is quite different and is a film that will have to be seen more than once to answer questions as I'm sure you are going to have after watching this great film. My expectations for this film were surpassed and I'm looking forward to watching this film again. I could see this becoming a reality in the not to distant future which is both interesting and scary.

No comments:

Post a Comment